- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp all-natural molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried liver (available at pet supply stores)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 oz low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
Decorative Frosting (optional)
- 4 oz low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup carob powder (available at health food stores)
- Put the liver in a blender, and blend to a powder. In a large gowl, mix the other ingredients. Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8x8x2 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 25 minutes.
- The cake is completely cooked when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack. (Often, I cut the cake into the shape of a dog bone. Before frosting the cake, make a stencil in the shape of a dog bone. Place the stencil on the cake, and cut the cake to the shape. Then frost and decorate as desired.)
- To prepare the frosting, mix the cream cheese, honey, and oil until smooth. Spread a thin layer of frosting over the cooled cake.
- Mix the ingredients for the decorative frosting until smooth. Place the mixture in a piping bag, and decorate the cake.
HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER DOG TREATS
The easiest homemade dog treats ever – simply mix, roll and cut. Easy peasy, and so much healthier than store-bought!
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, or more, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat pumpkin puree, peanut butter and eggs on medium-high until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups flour at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.*
- Let cool completely.
This delicious recipe brought to you by DAMN DELICIOUS